LULING – St. Charles Parish will hold its 23rd annual Independence Day Celebration from 6 until 9 p.m. July 3 at the West Bank Bridge Park, 13825 River Road.
The event will feature a performance by popular New Orleans band the Topcats, a patriotic balloon-twisting clown, food and more.
The band is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m., with a fireworks extravaganza to begin at 9 p.m. The Topcats were voted best cover band in 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 by Offbeat Magazine's “Best of The Beat” awards. The self-proclaimed “hardest working band in the New Orleans area” will play popular music spanning six decades. The band celebrates its 30th anniversary this year.
An opening ceremony is set to begin at approximately 6:15 p.m.
Local nonprofit organizations will sell food and drinks at the event, to include nachos, sweets, soft drinks, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, pickles, snoballs, French fries, jambalaya, pulled pork sandwiches, frozen treats and watermelon. Glow necklaces will also be available. Vendors will be located in the West Bank Bridge Park’s concession stand and permanent shelters.
- The levee bike path in Luling just downriver from the Hale Boggs Bridge will be barricaded the morning of July 2 for fireworks equipment setup.
- The West Bank Bridge Park parking lots will be completely closed beginning the afternoon of July 2 in anticipation of the event on July 3. Any cars left parked in the lot will be in danger of being towed.
- I-310 southbound and northbound off ramps to LA 18 and LA 18 (River Road) from Ashton Road to the School Board Office will be closed 15 minutes prior to, throughout, and 15 minutes following the 9 p.m. fireworks show.
- Pets and glass bottles are NOT allowed within the West Bank Bridge Park; however, guests are allowed to bring their own adult beverages to the event. Ice chests and folding chairs are welcomed.
- The fire marshal has ordered that no one be allowed to enter or leave the park 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after the fireworks show to allow time for the area to be checked for safety.
For more information on parish activities, visit www.stcharlesparish-la.gov, www.facebook.com/stcharlesgov or www.twitter.com/stcharlesgov.
The mission of St. Charles Parish government is to provide high quality, efficient services to sustain and enhance the quality of life for all residents of St. Charles Parish.