The East Bank and West Bank Waterworks Districts were created in November 1949 and were operated as separate districts under separate boards of commissioners. These two districts were combined into a Department of Waterworks under the Parish of St. Charles by the council on Nov. 6, 1989. Parish of St. Charles - Code of Ordinances
Section 2.22. Department of Waterworks
- Created. There is hereby created the Department of Waterworks.
- Functions and Responsibilities. The functions and responsibilities of the department of waterworks shall be to:
- Operate and maintain all parish-owned water facilities and properties, including intake systems, treatment plants, distribution systems, buildings and other appurtenant items.
- Supervise and direct all persons currently affiliated and/or employed by Waterworks District Nos. 1 and 2, and any and all future employees.
- Work in conjunction with other parish departments and agencies as they interface with waterworks operations.
- Develop a comprehensive parishwide water management system, including operations, capital improvements and personal systems.
- Prepare annual operating and capital budgets for presentation to the council through the parish president.
- Other such duties as may be required by the parish president.
- Appointment of Director. The director of the department of waterworks shall be appointed by the parish president as stated in article III, section C.1.b of the Home Rule Charter.